Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Why is Teaching so Hard?

"An effective teacher creates a positive effect on student achievement as well as other important outcomes that have positive and lasting effects on the lives of students."
--James Stronge

Those who become teachers do so because they care about others and have a passion for helping students succeed. Teaching is a very rewarding job, but it doesn't come without its difficulties and frustrations.

  • Some students are as easy to care about as others. There will be the students who ruins the feeling of classroom community, who is a constant disruptment, who has an unpleasant demeanor, etc. In the book it says "It's hard to care because we don't know how to see through someone else's eyes, to speak someone else's language, to make the world better for a child whose world is out of control.
  • Some times teacher feel overwhelmed because there are too many students to connect with or they feel that there just isn't enough time.
  • Its hard to teach well when you have 30 children with all different needs, requiring so much from you, all at the same time. 
Teaching is hard, but it is rewarding. All teachers can do is try their best. 
  • Start by making meaningful relationships with your students. 
  • Be willing to take the necessary risks to help your students succeed and have a more fulfilling life. 
  • Trust and respect.
"We simply have to decide the shape we want our teaching careers to take, and begin moving in that direction."
--Carol Ann Tomlinson

After this past field experience I can absolutely see and understand why teachers get to discouraged and frusturated. They love and care for their students and want them all to succeed, but sometimes that is exhasting. They want to differentiate and give students all that they need to be successful, but with all of the other demands on the teacher that isn't always possible.

I feel the biggest thing i need to remember is to take each day one at a time. Some days will be better than others. Some days I might feel disappointed in my lack of differenation. Some days I might be barely hanging one. I just need to pick myself up and remind myself that tomorrow is another day. I can try again. I can differentiate in a different way until I am able to find what works for each student. I understand that this is something that takes practice... all I can do is keep trying!


Photo: http://absolutraining.com/atwp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Dont-give-up.jpg
Book Reference: Fulfilling the Promise of the Differentiated Classroom, By: Carol Ann Tomlinson

4 comments:

  1. GREAT posting for you last one... for your ending of this assignment. I appreciate your all-out effort to make these last three postings packed full of passion and truth for you, as a teacher! I am satisfied that you have reflected deeply enough to "call this good" -- and not even count exactly how "many" posts you have. I DO want to ask you, just you individually, to comment on this last question from me. I suspect I will see some of your "answer" when I read your key assignment... but still, because it's related to what you have said here, I'm hoping you'll take just a minute or two to answer this: You mentioned, in this blog, the following: "Be willing to take the necessary risks to help your students succeed and have a more fulfilling life." What do you think one or two of those risks me be, for you, in your first year of teaching? Can you think of the vision and passion you have for teaching, and what you want your students to FEEL about learning, and your own personality and strengths as a teacher... and tell me one or two risks that you can picture needing to take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the biggest risks I can see myself encountering during my first year of teaching is taking the risk of detours. I feel like your first year of teaching you are under a microscope with your teachers, principal, and faculty watching your every move. There is so much required of teachers and so much curriculum to teach that if you take a detour they might question you and your ability. I feel that taking these detours are so beneficial to students. If they aren't understanding a concept, taking a detour and provide extra time, resources, or lessons can help them develop greater and more meaningful understanding.

      I also feel that it is important to teach your students skills, not facts. These skills are going to be what they carry with them grade after grade and help them be successful in life. By taking the time to help students develop these skills you may risk your grade level team wondering why you are falling behind. Basically there is so much to teach and so little time that anything "off course" could be questioned. That is why it is important to make sure your detour is appropriate and necessary and that you can explain the need for it to someone if they question you.

      On a lighter note, teachers take risks everyday when they come and teach their students. I plan to be the kind of teacher that goes to all lengths and to use creativity to help students succeed. Some students (especially if teaching older grades) might make fun of you, but that is a risk I am absolutely willing to take if it means that it will help students understand and succeed.

      I want students to feel like they CAN learn regardless of what they currently know, where they come from, or what others say about them. I want them to see that I am passionate about teaching and that I truly believe in them... I want them to believe in themselves!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Meg, writing so clearly about the risks you foresee. I'm impressed that you have such a realistic sense of the school environment in regard to beginning teachers! That's why it's even more important that you ARE willing to take those risks... because truly, you can change the world, if you will take those risks! (You're finished with this assignment... sucessfully!).

    ReplyDelete