Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Addressing Student Needs Through Curriculum and Instruction

In the book Fulfilling the Promise of the Differentiated Classroom, by Carol Ann Tomlinson it talks about using curriculum and instruction as the vehicle for addressing student needs.

Through curriculum and instruction, teachers shape lives by equipping students with the intellectual skills necessary to make their way in a world that places such high demands on academic preparation for full societal participation.

In order to have good curriculum and instruction you need to have the five characteristics. These characteristics are: making sure the work is important, focused, engaging, demanding, and scaffolding.

  • IMPORTANT: As a teacher, ask yourself the following questions---Does it provide a roadmap toward expertise in a discipline? Is what we are studying balancing knowledge, understanding, and skill? Is it essential to building student understanding?
  • FOCUSED:As a teacher, ask yourself the following questions---Is the task designed to get us where we need to go? Do both the teacher and the student understand why we are doing/learning this? Do the teacher and students know how what they are doing connects to the bigger picture?
  • ENGAGING:As a teacher, ask yourself the following questions---Are students finding meaning in their work? Does it provoke their curiosity? Will the students get absorbed by the work? Are students intrigued or find value in the work?
  • DEMANDING:As a teacher, ask yourself the following questions---Is the work at an appropriate level beyond the students reach? Is there any "loose" time (there shouldn't be)? Are there clear high standards for work and behavior? 
  • SCAFFOLDED:As a teacher, ask yourself the following questions---Am I teaching for success? Am I offering various learning opportunities for the various learning strategies in the classroom? Do I have various materials/manipulatives? Have I made the criteria for success clear to the students?


One of my favorite quotes from the book is "We rarely succeed in teaching subjects unless we teach human beings as well." I LOVE this! I strongly believe that in order to be a successful teacher and to help the students truly be successful that you have to teach with this mindset. You are teaching humans skills to help them be successful in life... you are not just teaching curriculum because that is what you are required to do.

In my classroom I want my students to have fun but still find meaning and value in what they do. I never want my students to be bored or feel like they are just doing busy work. That is way I love these five characteristics. I truly think that if i remember to ask myself the questions above, that I will be able to teach more and have a positive impact and the students will enjoy school better.


1 comment:

  1. Yes! This is the passion I needed to see! And, I will admit that as much as I believe in all of those qualities that my lessons need to be (important, focused, engaging, demanding, scaffolded -- I even keep that list in front of me on my bulletin board in my office -- I'm looking at it right now)... it is hard, hard works. Some weeks, some days I do better than others. So, when I read passion for it, and desire for it, like yours, I start feeling like it WILL be possible. You will be able to change the world one child at a time. 5 pts.

    ReplyDelete