Monday, January 20, 2014

Hallmarks for a Differentiated Classroom

There are 9 Hallmarks for a differentiated classroom. These Hallmarks are...
1.  A strong link between assessment an instruction
2.  Absolute clarity about what the teacher wants the students to know, understand, and be able to do-about what is truly important to learn in this unit
3. Shared responsibility for the classroom is between teacher and students, in the goal of making it work for everyone
4. Individual growth is emphasized as central to classroom success
5. A "way up," usually through multiple and varied pathways, and never a "way out"
6. "Respectful" and engaging work for all students
7. Proactive thinking and planning for different pathways
8. Flexible grouping
9. Flexible uses of time, space, and materials.

When I look at all these Hallmarks I know they are all important, but I worry I wont know how to effectively implement them all. When I have feeling like this I try to remind myself that it will take time and practice. I think one of the most important things to remember while trying to figure out how to have a differentiated classroom is to be flexible and need my students needs in mind. I remember having teachers who were so worried about sticking to their lesson plan that they didn't care if students were falling behind, not interested in what/how they were giving instruction, etc. I hope that if I am in-tune with my students and their needs that all these Hallmarks will start falling into place.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts and personal reflection! You are absolutely right -- the hallmarks will "come" as you get to know your students and plan your teaching to meet their needs. Good for you! 5 pts.

    ReplyDelete